26.11.12

Aunty Mary

I've had a bit of a difficult week.
With my extended family, I have said my goodbyes to my Aunt Mary. She has been a big part of my life, and my children's lives for close to two decades. Of course she's been present longer than that; all my 49 years, but as an adult, my relationship with her has been the most tangible. 
She moved to the Central Coast from Sydney not long after I did. I taught in the same parish she settled, and she willingly became Aunty Mary to those primary school children, listening to them read each week, without fail. She delighted in attending Mass and hearing the 'Hello! Aunty Mary!' acknowledgements each Sunday from the children.  I took her to medical appointments, she joined us each Christmas day and we celebrated her birthday with her. She liked keeping up with technology and we tried to assist her with the concept of a mobile phone, updating to plasma television, and hard-wired smoke detectors.
Everything I'm writing here doesn't seem to express what I'm feeling at her loss. It's much harder than expected. My nephew achieved the impossible; delivering a beautiful and confident eulogy at her service. J managed to contribute a simple prayer. I was very proud of them both. Thankfully my girls were able to attend before their flight to Japan. It was all very sudden, rushed and emotional.


Christmas has felt a bit flat here before this event but with a ten year old who's still a 'true believer', Santa can not forget us. Never thought I'd need to practice my Ho! Ho! Ho!

Till we meet again, Aunty Mary.

x KL

Thank you for stopping by my blog. You are very welcome and encouraged to comment. I love receiving feedback! I also love watching a new pretty picture box added to my followers - would love you to join me so I can get to know you too!

8 comments:

  1. I'm so very sorry for your loss KL. Your Aunt Mary sounds more like another mother and I can tell from your words how very much she meant to you and your family and the whole community. Thinking of you - Christmas is always a little hollow when you lose a loved one so close to a time which you traditionally spend with family. xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Heidi for your kind words. It will be very strange on Christmas day without her. x kl

      Delete
  2. I am so sorry for your loss :(

    Hugs to you.

    B

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much B. It is still sinking in.
      x KL

      Delete
  3. Oh no, that is very sad news, especially at this time of the year. Take heart that she has gone to a better place and you have lovely memories to remember her by. xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm sorry to hear that. Loss is very difficult, especially at this time of year and when someone is such a presence in your life. I hope she had a good life and you can reflect on the good times. My thoughts are with you. Kx (The Blog a House Built)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm so very sorry for your loss KL. She sounded like a fabulous woman and will be missed I'm sure.

    ReplyDelete

I've recently had some problems with not receiving comments. I have removed word verification to try to rectify this issue. If your much appreciated comment doesn't appear please let me know via email so I can try something else! All comments and feedback are warmly welcomed! x KL