12.11.12

Detailing: Main Bedroom



So the main bedroom plan (RHS) has changed a wee bit from those submitted to Council (LHS).
This was done primarily to create a small linen cupboard upstairs as the main one will be on the lower level. The bedroom door shifted left and outside, the powder room was re-arranged with it's doorway away from the hall end. This created a focal point for, you guessed it...art.
I then utilised the odd shaped entry to the bedroom for a walk-in shoe and handbag cupboard!
(with a cavity sliding door)
Bliss! Mind you, by the time this is usable I won't be able to walk in any of my heels; a cupboard for old-person's orthopedics and bowls bag doesn't sound very swish though does it?
I deleted the Eastern window because I felt there was enough glass elsewhere but added a wee highlight to the left of the robe for ventilation and natural light. And the doors to the en suite were widened too. The plan and reasoning for that, posted HERE.

My inspiration for the decor of the main bedroom are found in the following images:


A pretty eclectic mix!
 I'm toying with the idea of painting the wardrobe unit black or wallpapering it in a black print, keeping the rest of the room white or pale grey as a contrast. I don't intend to use any turquoise (I have a obsession with white bedlinen!) but liked the details of that picture if swapped out for Taupe. Just LOVE the mirror furniture. *Sigh*
I'll might try to put a Mood board together for this room I think.

On the wardrobe side of things, I'm very undecided.


I had first thought to do a joinery robe like the left top quadrant which might be mirrored like those on the top right. Now, due to budget I'm now considering an open walk-in arrangement like the images on the bottom and adding a door to the end of the 'room'.
We had this in the last house (pics below) and it worked well, though we didn't have doors.


And as much as I like the idea of a dressing table within the robe, there's plenty of room in the bedroom for that and I can maximise clothes storage without it.

Any suggestions / thoughts / responses?


x KL

Thank you for stopping by my blog. You are very welcome and encouraged to comment. I love receiving feedback! I also love watching a new pretty picture box added to my followers - would love you to join me so I can get to know you too!

14 comments:

  1. Hi KL, I'd definitely do the wallpaper or paint to the wall behind the bed. It will go with the mood you're trying to create from your inspiration pics. I'd also look at using one of the darker laminate colours for the WIR. If you're doing a dark colour on the wall, it will match in nicely. Also, it gives a more high end/ retail shop fit feel to the units. I used a dark grey laminate for ours, and have also done this in a few houses I did in Melbourne..... hope that gives you a few ideas! x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Heidi, do you find dark fit outs to be "high maintentance"? I know that dust settles on light fit outs just as much, but it blends in so I can't see it :P

      I hate dusting though, and don't have a cleaner :(

      I read somewhere that having a rug in the room somehow "solves" the dust issue? But don't see what principle this is based on :S ... we've got timber flooring in bedrooms too so am just wondering if adding a runner in the walk-through would reduce the dust issue...

      B

      Delete
    2. Hi Heidi! My thoughts after reading your comment reflect B's above regarding the dust issue. I'm finding the two dark walls downstairs show fingerprints and dust far more than those painted white. It would be nice to create the more 'high-end' look, especially as we look going sans internal doors. Glad to hear of your personal experience and I wonder if you have any pics???? My email is eternalicons@gmail.com if you have any to share!
      x KL

      Delete
    3. Hi B & KL, I haven't had a problem with dust....I'm embarrassed to admit that I've only just dusted the WIR almost 2 years after we moved in. I would say though, that the room is quite "moody" (ie dark). It faces South, has grey grasscloth wallpaper and charcoal carpet, and the laminate is a grey. The houses I did in Melbourne had rooms that faced North though, and it wasn't a problem. If anything the dust kind of blends in to the dark laminate, so you don't notice it as much. I also use a more matt (flint finish) vs shiny laminate. I think a high gloss laminate would definitely make the dust more noticable. I'll post a few pics on the blog later this week. I'm just waiting on an armchair to come back from the upholsterer. He's promised it by the end of the week.....fingers crossed xx

      Delete
    4. No prob after two years? Woo Hoo! The robes sound very beautiful...will love having a peep when you can post the pics. I get you re the finish, thanks for your input!
      x KL

      Delete
    5. Love the dust blending into the dark laminate :)))))))))))

      I never even thought of using a matt finish there, but it certainly makes sense!!!

      We don't have windows in the walk through robe (between the master bedroom and ensuite) but somehow (????) there seems to be so much dust everywhere! Perhaps it's to do with us not having a driveway yet? Or the fact that the house near the ensuite window was knocked down and it's now a piece of dirt/dust. Uggggh.

      B

      Delete
  2. I love your old walk in arrangement!!! Was there a ceiling on top or are they just walls? Looks very cool!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was a fabulous robe B in terms of storage capacity and fit-out but dust was definitely an issue. We had no ceiling so the bedhead wall was lighter in frontal view. Dust on infrequently worn items; coats in summer, suits from my pre-J working days had dusty shoulders...yucko! Hence this build I've taken the bedhead wall to the ceiling and had INTENDED on individual doors, joinery style. The difference between that and a WIR with single door access is about $3 K though so I think I'll be going that route and hope that I'm a better domestic godess or the enclosed room means less dust! Fingers & toes x KL

      Delete
  3. I love your inspiration images. I too am a sucker for white bed linen <3

    As pretty as an intergrated dressing table might look, with your huge bedroom, you are right, no need really.

    Doors on the wardrobe fit out would be great for the dust factor ... but ... would you be bothered closing them every time? Maybe it's just MrB and I who are slobs, but in our previous places we've lived at we never used to shut the sliding doors on our built-ins. *shy*

    B

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, and having no doors might just motivate you to keep things looking presentable :)))

    It works for us!!! (we are currently using Ikea expedit book cases to store our day-to-day clothes)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gotta lurve the EXPEDIT! It is all J has ATM and works a treat! x KL

      Delete
  5. Sorry for spamming you...

    I LOL-ed at your "old-person's orthopedics and bowls bag" comment. ha ha ha ha

    B

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad I gave you a laugh, but not so funny.... is it's TRUE! :-(
      David wanted to measure a shoe box for the 'shoe cupboard' shelving and I grabbed a dusty box from storage. Red satin stillettos with swarovski crystals...I took them out of their tissue and slipped them on. I could not take one step. Davo was having a hard time keeping me vertical standing still...though he was laughinh hard. Soooooo sad!
      x KL

      Delete
    2. You just made me LOL again!!!

      *shy*

      Delete

I've recently had some problems with not receiving comments. I have removed word verification to try to rectify this issue. If your much appreciated comment doesn't appear please let me know via email so I can try something else! All comments and feedback are warmly welcomed! x KL