9.1.15

Bits & Bobs and some wee house progress!

 There's been lots going on here lately but not enough time to post. My poor little blog has definitely been neglected! 
Of course it's holiday time and there are books to read, sunshine to enjoy and friends to catch up with after the frantic pace of Christmas and New Year. I am yet to put the tree and decor away...this afternoon is earmarked for that onerous chore and I'm procrastinating!

My West Elm gold cutlery has been packed away in a new canteen from POK.
 Mattress-gate has been resolved and we are sleeping comfortably at last. Who knew how traumatic buying a new mattress could be? ! Long story short, NEVER buy an $8K Tempur mattress if you or your partner are hot sleepers...that thing will cook you alive! When we eventual bought successfully (Sealy Posturepedic Nouvelle Plush Gardenia from Domayne; BLISS!), we bought J a new mattress too. . . and of course some new bedlinen was required. He he!

Abode Euros, Cultiver Linen, Bonnie & Neil Cushion.
 The Table-gate episode that occupied FIVE MONTHS of 2014 and that I thought was resolved HERE, wasn't. It is now though, with the item being returned and refunded. We are however, back to square one and table-less once again. Recommendations welcome! Minimum 3 m length x 1200 mm wide.

The upper floor bathrooms have seen no further progress as our tiler is still unavailable. We're looking at him starting in two weeks but I'm not going to hold my breath! In the interim, David has started prepping the top verandas so they'll be ready to tile too with the french pattern travertine bought exactly a year ago! He doesn't want to lay any timber flooring or carpet upstairs until they're completed due to potential damage. Which leads me to...
 (insert drum roll, trumpets and fanfare)
TIMBER FLOORING
Yup. Finally decided, purchased and it's ready to rock 'n roll!
21mm thick, extra wide engineered oak flooring; colour Matt silky oak. I probably would have gone for a lighter tone but decided to err on the side of caution and not be too trend specific.

One pack of our flooring laid out!
As mentioned, Davey has made a wee bit of progress here. He had planned to do more but needed to work between Christmas and New Year to finish a client's house as they wanted to move in three weeks earlier.
Thankfully, we were able to meet their request, sans shower screens and mirrors. I'll show you more pics of this one in another post.

Our latest completed, custom client home.
In the last few days, David has worked here and the top veranda outside what will be our bedroom, and the entry, now have ceiling linings. J assisted his Dad with the last piece and has shown himself to be a great help when needed.


The bar-front under the bi-fold window area is finished and now just needs sealing. 


A beautiful bone-inlay chest of drawers that has been on my 'wish list' forever, finally made it here. I'm going to use it in the main bedroom and officially announce an end to my bone-inlay obsession!


I bought this great Pony Rider pouf for J's bedroom too. It was on sale for $90 from $229 (yippee!) and it will make a great spot to sit and put on shoes etc. 


J has finished Primary School and is headed to High School this year. The end of the year was frantic as along with the usual Christmas functions we had graduation events too. I made J and a girlfriend's daughter, signature bears dressed in mini uniforms as a grad gift. Sommer loved hers and had all her mates and teachers sign it but J wouldn't even take his to school. Boys. I should have known better! LOL!


 My craft skills were more appreciated by my middle child though. I posted HERE about A's desire for a Dream-Catcher for Christmas. Below is the one I made her and which she liked. Thank God!


It was very easy to make but the materials (especially the lace) were exy so I didn't save money by making one, I just made a more spectacular version for the same outlay.

That probably brings the blog up-to-speed with the goings on here and hopefully I'll have more House Progress posts to share soon!

x KL

Thank you for stopping by my blog. 
You are very welcome and encouraged to comment, I love receiving feedback!

10 comments:

  1. I LOVE the wooden floors you choice. I was just at a restaurant last night that had similar floors and I really loved the look of them! The dream catching is seriously impressive. Most of my D.I.Ys turn out like that too. Could have bought something else for the cost, but wouldn't have been as good.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Laura! I love the fact that these floors are factory sealed which make the finish more durable and them to be laid quickly without dust and smelly lacquer. They are also very stable and in a house with allot of glass yhis was a key consideration. The dream catcher turned out well but could never be compared to your challenging DIY's! Look forward to seeing what you've got up your sleeve in this, The Year Of The House!

      Delete
  2. phew - lots has been going on with you KL! Love the floor choice, if you'd gone paler you'd probably see more wear and tear, so I'd say it's far better choice, along with being not too trend specific as you said. Floors are one thing that are fairly permanent and timber colours tend to date faster than anything else. Glad you've finally found a good bed! Agree its so tricky… we have a sealy too and love it (and as they're such a big financial outlay you really do want to be happy). Love the gold cutlery, the bone chest, the bears (so cute!), and the dream catcher too! Hope you had a great Christmas and New Year, despite Dave working, and hope the house work continues apace! xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I always appreciate your opinion Heidi, thank you! The bed issue is an enormous outlay and getting it right is paramount. The next 10 years depend on it!

      Delete
  3. Hooray for all the action at your place! I do love the house belonging to your clients. They made a good choice! It looks fantastic.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's interesting to be involved in 'client' projects to see how other people think, what they value and the choices they make and why. We hold clients hands with their choices and guide them if requested but ultimately, as a custom home builder, all final choices are theirs and not necessarily what we would choose. This little home has turned out beautifully and on time and within budget which is always a great result!

      Delete
  4. Loving all your purchases (especially that gold cutlery!), and your dream catcher is really very pretty. Probably the prettiest I've seen, so well done to you. Love all the progress!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Nat! I actually bought the cutlery twelve months ago and only the canteen to house it in is new. It was a pain re-wrapping each set after use so hopefully I'll use it more now access is simpler. Its not wearing as well as hoped which is disapponting given I handwash each piece!

      Delete
  5. I love that bone-inlay chest of drawers you got its just stunning! Cant wait to see it in place! Your building work and interior design is looking fantastic it must be so exciting being able to build your dream home!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hubby and I shifted the chest into our main bedroom and it looks great! Can't wait to move into the space! I feel very blessed to be able to design, build and decorate our own home...though living in the in-between mess with such a slow project (weekends and holidays our only time to get anything done) is frustrating and challenging most of the time. Thanks for visiting my blog and taking the time to comment!

      Delete

I've recently had some problems with not receiving comments. I have removed word verification to try to rectify this issue. If your much appreciated comment doesn't appear please let me know via email so I can try something else! All comments and feedback are warmly welcomed! x KL