3.2.13

Clever Reno: updating for resale (PART ONE)

Some wonderful, dear friends of ours recently embarked upon a home renovation project that has impressed me no end. As potential 'empty nesters' (a few years still to go though) they decided to update their existing 20 year old home to suit the current market anticipating a sea change scenario.


20 years ago they built not one but two Huxley Project Homes. Their first, above, still looks like the day they built it. It is Colonial Ranch Style as was the height of fashion when first constructed.


Above is their second home (photo taken about 9 months ago), which is exactly the same design but mirror reversed and below, is how it looks today....


Impressive transformation isn't it? On a strict budget, they have made the house look more contemporary in style. A simple face-lift that has taken decades off it's age! They removed the stuck-on window grids and veranda finials, added interior plantation shutters and replaced the entry and garage doors with up-to-date styles and colours.

I think that they have been very clever with their moolah. They've spent where needed but recognised that updating a house doesn't mean changing EVERYTHING; a good eye has seen them retain inherent features which they have worked with well. The brick facade, a case in point.

Little details were not forgotten though and make a big impression relative to outlay.

 
New lighting fixtures, house identification and a shuffle of landscape features like the stone urn and pedestal have all contributed to a fresh new look without breaking the bank.

And inside they worked their magic too....

(Part Two post to follow!)

x KL

Thank you for stopping by my blog. You are very welcome and encouraged to comment. I love receiving feedback! I also love watching a new pretty picture box added to my followers - would love you to join me so I can get to know you too!

7 comments:

  1. They did a great job. So many houses built in the early 90's had those faux victorian style details (finials and lace on the verandah) which didn't really suit the proportions. And focussing on the details, such as the house number definitely has made a difference too. xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. A small change can make such a big difference.
    I would love to have a go at my girlfriends house.
    She has no idea in styling, so i say nothing. but Oh the potential is huge.
    Pen x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes, I agree, subtle changes but an overall impact of a different house just the same. Less fuss, more simplicity.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes, a very clever facelift. Your friends have done a great job. xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. HUGE transformation! I've always been a fan of the ranchstyle home :)

    xx
    Holly Foxen Wells
    GlamourMash

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a great job! Can't wait to see part 2!
    Stacy

    ReplyDelete

I've recently had some problems with not receiving comments. I have removed word verification to try to rectify this issue. If your much appreciated comment doesn't appear please let me know via email so I can try something else! All comments and feedback are warmly welcomed! x KL