24.2.15

Solidifying the Kitchen Plan

 David was home yesterday having a rare days rest, as he is dying unwell with the 'man flu'. It gave us the opportunity to have a lengthy discussion about our kitchen plans in an attempt to firm up the design. 
Which we did. Yay! 
This has meant a few tweaks to the last kitchen post and the ordering of a freestanding range.


The sink will now be sited in the island (I really wanted it on the rear wall) as the flow and function will be improved. Practicality took precedence over aesthetics!

This decision now being considered as definite, we started to seriously consider our cooking options, particularly in relation to that awful 'B' word; budget. We decided to leave the Miele wall mounted oven in the laundry / kitchenette as it will be practical there when entertaining on the lower level. 
The Barazza Abey Lab cooktop (which has been residing on the wish-list forever) has been permanently struck off. *sob. In it's place, we reasoned that for similar outlay, we can buy a 900mm Freestanding Range.


Say hello to our new baby. It hasn't got the one and a half ovens that I would have liked (had a St George one twenty years ago and loved it!) but it has a Tepenyaki plate to soothe the disappointment. It's made by Smeg, a brand I've had no personal experience with, but it looks good and was within budget...

One of the main reasons I was so enamoured with the LAB cooktop was because all components sat totally flush within the benchtop. David thinks he will be able to place the range lower than the benchtop height (planned to be higher than standard), to achieve the same or similar visual effect. Hooray!

my poor rendering of changes and decisions!
Another MAJOR conclusion to our day was to alter the proposed back bench surface material. We had stainless steel in our last house and never really considered anything else for here (we both LOVED it!) but, with the sink re-located, we can still have a seam free surface without custom Stainless steel. Black stone (Composite or Granite) will probably look better with the black joinery (laminate, veneer or two-pac?) and be kinder on the hip pocket. Decision made. Pinterest image of the look we're after below:


The microwave will now be located underbench. Probably on the left hand side of the rear run of joinery. I'm looking into the price of a small combi oven; convection / microwave / grill to augment the big range. It would probably get more use unless we were entertaining!


We did some research into the shallow pantry / office space door options too and after initially considering a sliding mechanism have decided on bi-fold doors for this. They look soooo much better closed and wont impede on the walkway as much as I feared. Mine will be handle-less though with a simple pull or shadow recess to open. Like these:




What isn't resolved in the pictures above is easy corner access so I will have a push-catch, secret panel to open the cupboard space in the corner. Look closely in the image below to see what I'm planning!

Kitchen designed by Minosa Design
Neat, eh? !

There's still two major quandaries.
What splashback material to choose and whether I'll stick to my guns about the dark finish.
EVERYONE is trying to talk me out of it, to go instead the safe white route!
Eeeek!

Stay tuned!


x KL

Thank you for stopping by my blog. 
 You are very welcome and encouraged to comment, I love receiving feedback!

8 comments:

  1. Stick with the black - you'll love it! As for splash back, what about mirror? It will visually open up the space, give that seamless look you're after and bounce a bit more light around.
    Love all the plans, and exciting that you've chosen some of the major bits and pieces and are inching closer to the finish line! xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Woo hoo! I was wrong in stating 'everybody' is against the black then! I did consider mirror but (might not be obvious) is that most of the rear wall is a window and the only splashback there is will be concealed by the fridge housing joinery. Don't want to reflect that. We also have an abundance of light, hence my fear of a clinical white look...Can't thank you enough for your support of the black though, I so value your opinion Heidi and am glad your comment came through!

      Delete
    2. Ah ok! I didn't realise the blue bit was window in my haste. I'd do the splash back in the same material as whatever you choose for the counter top then (marble? Caesar stone?). It's a small bit, and it would look better seamless and not sticking out and competing with the window.
      I've seen a few black kitchens in real life and they look stunning! Just keep with the matte look though - no shine, and texture is even better if you can swing it. I think everyone wants to put in a white kitchen as they think it is 'safe'.. but it won't have a lot of impact the way a black one will. Glad my comment came through too.. not sure what's been happening lately?!

      Delete
  2. WOW! Everything is looking and sounding great, I have my sink in the island and I love it. Don't let anyone talk you out of what you really want as you'll regret it later. xT

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much. The sink in the island is definitely the most practical option but I was concerned at all the mess that always seems to surround my sink, so wanted to put it in the back wall. I'm just going to have to do some serious 'training' to get used glasses etc...straight into the dishwasher!

      Delete
  3. Black is very stylish so long as there is plenty of light. Especially with those gorgeous floors in your inspiration pic. Your kitchen design looks excellent, and I'm in awe of your graphic skills! There are some benefits of a slow build, especially when you have such a compliant builder. You can really refine the plan as you go along. Plenty of time to visualise options. I'd go light for the splash back. Not sure exactly what, something matt?? Marble?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We are blessed with an abundance of light through large expanses of glass on both long sides of the kitchen. I think that's why I like the black joinery idea; glare and all white may look too clinical and 'cold'. Our floors will be a mid to pale oak so should add visual warmth too. The slow build is great for refining plans....but sometimes you start doubting yourself too....and of course get frustrated with the process! I agree with you Johanne and Heidi that Matte is the prefered finish which might be the decider on material choice too.

      Delete
  4. Great article, Thanks for your great information, the content is quiet interesting. I will be waiting for your next post.

    ReplyDelete

I've recently had some problems with not receiving comments. I have removed word verification to try to rectify this issue. If your much appreciated comment doesn't appear please let me know via email so I can try something else! All comments and feedback are warmly welcomed! x KL