24.8.15

Detailing: The Cabana

"At the Copa, Copa-cabana!"

It's funny to be detailing The Cabana. At Copacabana...
It is actually a patio / veranda area that is partially covered by the overhanging dining room above.
When we initially applied to council to build, we had some difficulties with our floorspace ratio, until we renamed this deck area a 'cabana'. Problem solved. It's all in a name...


I've mentally divided this area into four zones:
1: The pool. 2: The pool deck. 3: The Cabana and 4: The deck.

The pool zone will have the pool...duh! and a high wall to the left for privacy. I wanted the wall to be dry stacked stone but slate tiles are the fiscal compromise.

I wanted Alpine Dry-stacked stone (above)                                 The budget determined Lichen Split slate tiling...

 I'm planning a bridge / deck area at the end too; something like the Pinterest image below, but simpler...


The pool will have travertine coping which we've already bought and can be seen below:
 

We had the pool form work done a few years ago but illness delayed the concrete pour. Now the steel is too rusted so we need to remove it and start again. Ooops!


An expensive mistake! Hopefully this will happen next month so we'll be swimming by summer! The front wall will be solid masonry with a slither of glass on top so we gain swimming privacy without losing the view when dining. Something like this:


The pool will have a nifty little beach area too, similar to the image below.


We would prefer to tile the pool interior but pebblecrete might be more money wise. That decision is still being debated! If I had no restrictions, I'd tile the pool with slate al-la-bali-style!


The pool deck is to the right of the pool. Both areas are isolated from the cabana and house by a combination of solid walling and frameless glass.

 
 I added the solid walling (shown on the plan in red) to create a niche into which the BBQ can sit.
 I'm planning on inserting a patch of faux grass to soften and break up the large expanses of travertine tiling.

I'm currently 'playing' with cute little faux grass samples
As there are no garden beds on this level (All this area sits on top of the Garage / storerooms) the grass will add some much needed green too!


Above is my all time favourite example of how beautiful faux lawn can look!

I have purchased a lounge for this area too.

My bargain Myer Vue Sunlounge!
The Cabana itself is covered by the top storey of the house. The three big stacking doors between it and the family room retract completely into a wall allowing unfettered access between areas. The television is easily viewed from outside if required. The laundry / kitchenette / bar room opens onto the cabana, via bi fold windows. and the bench top will run through to outside creating the 'bar'.

via Pinterest
 I've just ordered the joinery (Whoop whoop!) and these stools for this area:

There is also a mini bar fridge, accessible cabana side, for refreshments when the bartender is having a dip! LOL! The area will be furnished with one of our existing day beds, a dining table and chairs. (I'm thinking the chairs will need to be replaced...)

We have two day beds to choose from. Images above are of our last home.
The flooring in this area, as elsewhere, is French pattern Travertine which has just been completed.

Half way and ungrouted. All the Cabana floor is finished now!
 I'd like to add just one or two big pots with statement plants. Simple and contemporary. So far, the only really BIG planters I've found are  w a y  out of my budget (try $4K!) so not sure if I'll achieve this!


The deck is a small area providing the laundry with access to the rear clothes drying area and guests access to an externally located bathroom when wet from the pool. 

The deck off the Laundry / Pool W.C.
Finished Pool W.C.
We have decided to screen this area from the Cabana to create a windbreak from the South. (Shown in red on plan above) Copacabana is notoriously windy with most of the gusts coming from the South. As we face North, we are well protected by the house's bulk but this opening was creating a wind-tunnel that needed to be addressed. We'll use timber to match the lower bar area.

the completed bar front
Well, that's this area detailed. There was a myriad of decisions in this zone alone and I'm really looking forward to seeing it all come together. Rain is forecast for this week so that will slow us down but then we'll be full steam ahead again!

x KL

Thank you for stopping by my blog.
You are very welcome and encouraged to comment, I love receiving feedback!

2 comments:

  1. This is going to be amazing. I LOVE the travertine!!
    Stacy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Stacy! It looks even better than I expected, the colours are soft and muted and the French pattern / tumbled edge offers a perfect contrast to the more contemporary lines of the house. Classic choices are always winners it seems and I'm really pleased to report that it's not too slippery either!

      Delete

I've recently had some problems with not receiving comments. I have removed word verification to try to rectify this issue. If your much appreciated comment doesn't appear please let me know via email so I can try something else! All comments and feedback are warmly welcomed! x KL