31.1.14

shoe cupboard

 Well, Davey finally got round to fitting out my the main bedroom shoe cupboard! Yippee!!!!
 You'll note that there is no mirror backing or wallpaper inside as lusted for HERE.
It was deemed too frivolous and a waste of money. Oh, Poohey! Oh well, I win some debates; it was obviously my turn to concede defeat.


I must say that I have allot of shoes; not for long though...
Upon unpacking boxes that have been in storage for 5 years, I found shoe heights that I now cannot walk in (eek!) and others that have become too small. W.T.F ? !
My feet have gotten fatter along with me apparently and my shoe size has increased from a 6 / 6.5 to a definite 7 / 7.5! ^# %&* (& $#%&@  !!!!

Anywho, life's like that, isn't it?

Although I had visions of my shoe wardrobe looking like this:


...the truth and contents are far more mundane. And, to be realistic, if I throw my shoe packaging away, how will I store them if one day we move and I am sans cupboard?
I decided to keep them in their original boxes (less dusting too) but they look so damn shop-storeroom-like now. I considered photographing each item and gluing it on the front of the box for easy content identification or cutting a peep hole to view but...


 ...some boxes have seen better days..and I'd like uniformity.
 Soooo, along with a squillion peoples before me, I am in search of attractive shoe boxes.


My first bit of research led me to Pinklily and Howard's Storage World.
They were too exy for the quantity I'd require. The Big W versions were recommended by a friend and were the cheapest option at $1.50 per box, but I think they look flimsy. ? And images of robes with multiple stacks looks messy! Ikea versions are fabric which I think would get grotty . . .


Then my thoughts returned to the humble shoe box.
If uniform in size and colour....


...and I was shocked at how expensive they are too. Even if purchased in bulk / wholesale!

I needed to think / look 'outside the box', and be creative.

And then I found these...


KASSETT Box with Lid from Ikea. They're designed for the office but for me they're perfect for shoe storage...
Cleanable / sturdy; tick!
Uniform in size and colour (black or white); tick!
Can be re purposed should we move; tick!
Very well priced; Tick!
With labelling space too!

Guess where I'm heading on Monday? 

Have you got any other suggestions I should consider?


x KL 

Thank you for stopping by my blog. 
You are very welcome and encouraged to comment, I love receiving feedback! 
 If you enjoy my ramblings, perhaps consider following by Email, Bloglovin' or Google+. 
 Join this site via Google Friend's Connect so I can follow you too!

5 comments:

  1. Hooray for the most important cupboard in the house! I can sympathise with you on the foot growing problem. Annoyingly, my feet grew during my last pregnancy (but not the first two pregnancies??), and it was only just a smidge, putting me at between a 7-7.5, rather than a true 7. So now it's tricky to buy shoes online, as they're often a bit small or far too big.

    You've got so much room though! Much more than me... Great idea with the shoe boxes. I guess the only other option would be Kikki K, but they'd be much more expensive I'd say. Ikea might have more shoe box options available too when you go in there. Look forward to seeing what you end up finding. xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, more empathy returned Heidi re the increased size. I was once a 'perfect' 6; never a blister from new shoes but now I suffer the same online shopping dilemma. And even within the same brand I can vary in sizing! Frustrating! Thanks for the Kikki K suggestion! Had a peep but they were prohibitive in cost unfortunately. The ikea office boxes are still top pick ATM but am still investigating....

      Delete
  2. Lucky you to have a shoe cupboard, such a luxury. I just bought the see through boxes from the Reject shop. Yes, they are flimsy but the shoes I store in them I don't wear very often so it isn't a problem. Have fun at Ikea. xT

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, feeling very swish with a cupboard just for shoes! He he. It happened by accident....we moved the doorway to our bedroom and that created an odd corner. We framed it up to be a music / equipment cupboard in the lounge but the doorway looked odd so I flipped it to be accessed through the bedroom. We jokingly called it hubs robe ( there's a big wir behind the bed) but it makes a perfect shoe storeroom for us. ( even though David has 4 pairs; one on which are thongs!) might still revert to the no name plastic boxes....everyone that has them seems happy!

      Delete
  3. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete

I've recently had some problems with not receiving comments. I have removed word verification to try to rectify this issue. If your much appreciated comment doesn't appear please let me know via email so I can try something else! All comments and feedback are warmly welcomed! x KL