5.4.14

Desperately seeking answers....a colour quandry


 Today was spent doing more painting....and finally the last of the upstairs ceilings are finished. Phew!
I have been told by 'the boss' David, that I am NEVER to design a house with these style of ceilings again. LOL. ATM, I don't think I want to design a house again, EVER.

 The time to commit to the wall colour has now arrived.
They are currently undercoated in un-tinted white which is very cold and stark. I'll paint most of the walls in the same white I've chosen elsewhere in the house; Dulux Natural White (ceilings are 25% strength). I want to break up the cavernous open plan area upstairs by adding charcoal features (Dulux Domino) and also to tie with downstairs.
It's just the where to start / stop issue that's making me nervous!


 Feature walls look best when used to highlight a single wall with no openings and paint starts and stops in internal corners. I'm wanting the feature walls here to be dark to recede them and to delineate the hall as a separate entity to the large lounge room.
I'm happy that the contrast achieves this in the renderings above.


 I also want some WOW factor when looking up the stairwell from the entry, to the main living above, so had planned that shallow recess to be dark too...


See the little nib wall on the right, above. According to 'ideal plan' it should be white but does that look odd? Unbalanced? Help!


And is it too much ?

 I had envisaged the end wall (with the two windows) and seen below, to be charcoal too. Eeeek!
I am SO overcome with indecision!


Some more deets: The floors are to be a wide plank, light to mid toned oak. The kitchen charcoal with a white island. A large dark hued carpet square will be inserted into the lounge room where there will be white slip-covered sofas. All of those dark walls will have substantially sized artwork on them.

Here's a plan, the RED lines showing where I'm considering using the dark wall colour.


I would dearly like your input on this...and be forever grateful!
...if you've never commented before,
or do so regularly,  
PLEASE share your thoughts!


x KL 

Thank you for stopping by my blog. You are very welcome and encouraged to comment, I love receiving feedback! If you enjoy my ramblings, perhaps consider following by Email, Bloglovin' or Google+. Join this site via Google Friend's Connect so I can follow you too!

2 comments:

  1. Ok, here's my 2 cents - I'd do the little nib wall in the charcoal too, it's so small I think it's better to tie it in,rather than have a contrast. I'd leave the wall to the powder room white, so that it contrasts with the feature wall... otherwise it's just a painted hallway (which could look good, but if you want a true feature, I think this would work better). I'd do the wall adjacent to the dining in charcoal ONLY if you could have it run into the kitchen. Otherwise you'll get a very separated feel from the kitchen to the dining area - you'd end up with a line. Also, what is the door - glass or solid? Think this one might be better white... xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. My first instinct would be to leave the nib wall white as I like that little contrast when you are looking from the hallway to the dining room (otherwise it will disappear in to the dark wall in the dining room - or maybe you want that?). I also think the wall to the powder room should stay white so that the hallway wall is a true feature and is less 'heavy'. I love dark walls but it can be a bit scary knowing where to use them. Good luck, and remember it's just paint. It can always be tweaked if you aren't 100% once the paint is on the walls!

    ReplyDelete

I've recently had some problems with not receiving comments. I have removed word verification to try to rectify this issue. If your much appreciated comment doesn't appear please let me know via email so I can try something else! All comments and feedback are warmly welcomed! x KL