18.3.12

External flooring & pool surrounds...


We're still a LONG way from pool surrounds (Here's where we're at) however to complete other external areas, the outside flooring needs to be decided upon. Whilst scouting for tiles for The Terrigal Project I came across these Travertine tiles in a 'french' pattern.
Talk about L.O.V.E. at first sight!
They will butt up against (proposed) charcoal coloured carpet (play, dining and main bedrooms) and  the 600 mm square marble tiles in the family room.


400 mm square format marble in our guest bedroom en suite.

I know they can't 'match' the marble; it being unsuitable for outside and around the pool. 
I considered, very seriously, grey basalt, but it absorbs heat and becomes too hot to be considered as a pool surround. Likewise, sandstone and light hues can be too reflective and therefore blinding on a hot Australian summer's day.

I considered timber (over the existing slab) too, but heat was also no-no too in this case.
Any ideas?

What do you think of the travertine? In this pattern? (In a contemporary home)

All input greatly appreciated....

x KL

 Thank you for stopping by my blog. You are very welcome and encouraged to comment. I love receiving feedback! I also love watching a new pretty picture box added to my followers - would love you to join me so I can get to know you too!

2 comments:

  1. Absolutely love travertine!!! I think it's timeless. We've got travertine look porcelain tiles in all our wet areas and I am still drooling every time I look at them :)

    Love the marble tiles you are having in the guest bathroom!!! Will they go on both walls and floor?

    B

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mel@Georgica PondMarch 19, 2012

    I love travertine and love a French pattern. I chose silver travertine for around our pool and had it installed in a French pattern, although it was very tricky because the width was very narrow in some areas and didn't even allow for a full 600mm tile, which meant that I had to do all the laying out myself because the tiler had no clue. Anyway, despite the small space, it looks gorgeous and I would have it again any day in any style of home because I think it goes with modern and traditional. It's a bit different to the standard laying pattern and just gives an area a bit of punch.

    ReplyDelete

I've recently had some problems with not receiving comments. I have removed word verification to try to rectify this issue. If your much appreciated comment doesn't appear please let me know via email so I can try something else! All comments and feedback are warmly welcomed! x KL