1.7.12

State of Emergency here!


Poor old Davey has been in a tonne of trouble over the last few days. And he's not 'on the other side' of it yet. I did a hospital dash with him after he woke up with excrutiating groin and side pain. Why do all emergencies happen at night? And on weekends? There must be a physiological explanation...
After eliminating the possibility of a strangulated testical, he was diagnosed with a large Kidney Stone and was operated on to relieve the blockage and the very significant pain.

 He's home tonight and is scheduled for surgery again early tomorrow morning. They're going to remove the temporary stent, laser the stone to break it to smaller pieces and re stent for a few more days. All I keep thinking is Thank God this didn't happen during our recent trip to Bali!


We have Private Health Insurance but were treated in the Emercency Department of Gosford Public Hospital. I was terrified that we were going to get substandard care but was very wrong. We were attended to immediately, the nursing staff and Resident Doctor knowledgeable, capable and very empethetic. The hospital appeared clean and seemingly well staffed. I have a much greater appreciation of our Hospital System however am so grateful we have Private Cover. David was operated on by a Urology Registra but tomorrow's proceedure will be performed by a Urology Fellow in a Private Hospital. Without our private cover, David would have to wait up to 3 months for the stone removal. The pain is likened to childbirth. 3 months! O.M.G.!

Hope you had a much more enjoyable weekend,


x KL

Thank you for stopping by my blog. You are very welcome and encouraged to comment. I love receiving feedback! I also love watching a new pretty picture box added to my followers - would love you to join me so I can get to know you too!

3 comments:

  1. I hope all goes well tomorrow, KL. Having just had a very similar experience, I am very glad that we spend a small fortune on our private health cover! We considered going to the public emerg and then being admitted to the private hospital, but in the end I'm glad that we went all private. The service was amazing. But you're right - ALWAYS nights or weekends, and thank goodness you were at home and not OS.

    Again, best wishes for tomorrow
    M
    x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your comment M. Kidney Stones are not uncommon yet I don't think one understands how serious / painful they are until experienced first hand. I'm sorry to hear you or yours have recently trod our same path. We unfortunately do not have any emergency departments in our local private hospitals here. Thank you for your best wishes... will pass them on to D!
      x KL

      Delete
  2. I know nothing about kidney stones but .... That thing looks huuuuge :(

    Good luck for tomorrow!!!

    B

    ReplyDelete

I've recently had some problems with not receiving comments. I have removed word verification to try to rectify this issue. If your much appreciated comment doesn't appear please let me know via email so I can try something else! All comments and feedback are warmly welcomed! x KL