7.11.12

Detailing: Dining Room


 Decisions are being made thick and fast around here. David and I have agreed on a plan of action for the upstairs plastering and it's proving to be more complicated than I thought!
He worked like a Trojan last weekend to prep for the plastering....apparently some walls needed to be thickened because of steel bolts in the frame and such. *Yawn*  (He he)
And there's still allot to do....

And then he asked me what sort of lighting I wanted over the dinning table.

Actually - the SPECIFIC light so he could block out the joists appropriately.
W.T F?
Yes, there will be lighting. DUH!  
'Maybe a pendant' doesn't cut it apparently....Eeeek!
Detailing urgently required...so....

Where we're at and the view from the dining area is seen in the pictures above. The kitchen is on the LHS of the picture (above left) and you can just see  the lowered ceiling I added over the proposed island to delineate the space. A milk glass louvre window and door were also added to the plan. The door allowing access to a return veranda which will house a BBQ for upstairs convenience; the glass chosen to obscure the neighbour's roof but not the natural light.


I'm not going to add a curtain or blind 'slot' to this room (like HERE) because I'm not sure any window coverings will be necessary and, if they prove to be required, I can add them so they're flush with the ceiling.
I'm intending on painting the door / louvre window wall black (Dulux 'Domino' as used HERE) and might have some Roman Blinds made in a similar colour for aesthetics during the evening. ?

So, now - the lighting choices!
Currently the space is wired for 3 x down lights over the table with a wall washer to spot-light art or a mirror on the end wall between the door and louvre window.

I'm thinking a BIG pendant over the table with separately controlled down lights either side - all on dimmers. I can't have pendants over the island as I've lowered the ceiling there to do some swishy 'glow' lighting that looks good in my head. (Um... Time will tell!)

Inspiration Piccies:


I like the idea of a chandie but David is dead-set against it. I first suggested one for the lounge room but lost the argument there too! I've suggested the Chandie-hidden-in-a see-through-drum scenario. Pfttttt! A simple drum was like-wise eliminated (this time by me). The mirror balls were a contention until we looked at the $ sign and then 3 x down lights were David's conclusion. !!!! Humph. Compromise? This:



Marcel Wanders Sky Garden (900 mm diameter)
Black and White.
Old and new
Contemporary and traditional
Authentic or replica
 Mega dollars or budget friendly!

I know there are others who are currently facing this same lighting dilemma. (Hi, Giulia!)
All suggestions and feedback welcome, as always!
x KL 
 
Thank you for stopping by my blog. You are very welcome and encouraged to comment. I love receiving feedback! I also love watching a new pretty picture box added to my followers - would love you to join me so I can get to know you too!

6 comments:

  1. I like the one in the last photo. Unless you have friends who will be offended by you owning a replica light I wouldn't bother with the original. But that's just me. And by offended I mean they own the original one... To me that would kind of give them the right to be offended. Lol
    My theory sucks, doesn't it?

    B

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I agree B. Luckily none of my friends would even know who Marcel Wanders was.
      x KL

      Delete
    2. He he. Yes, we are also lucky to have friends and family who know nothing about furniture designers/famous furniture *shy*

      B

      Delete
  2. Hi KL! Toni has been trying to talk me into these. They are really lovely. I think they are a great compromise as they are kind of masculine and industrial almost on the outside but very beautiful on the inside. Yep I love them and they will go with lots of colour schemes. I'm actually going to go and look at them more closely myself. What's the price tag like?? PS LOOOVE the view!! Giulia.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I haven't actually seen them yet (other than pics) so you'll have to let me know! I presume we'd need to go the Replica path $ wise. Mum & Dad think they look like surgical lights. I wanna know why they were awake on the operating table! He he!
      x KL

      Delete
    2. Had a squizz online, it appears the 900 mm Skygarden retails just under the $3 K mark whist a replica is about $1000. x kl

      Delete

I've recently had some problems with not receiving comments. I have removed word verification to try to rectify this issue. If your much appreciated comment doesn't appear please let me know via email so I can try something else! All comments and feedback are warmly welcomed! x KL