2.8.11

Original v's replica. What do you think?

Eero Aarnio 'Bubble' Chair
I love designer furniture classics and have a long 'wish-list' of items that I lust after. Kartel Bourgie crystal lamps, Louis Ghost chairs, Charles stools, Herman Miller walnut side tables, Eero Aarnio  Bubble chair, Eames leather recliner with footstool, Noguchi coffee table and Barcelona chairs to name but a few!
Noguchi coffee table

Eames leather recliner with footstool
But what about the original v's replica issue? As an ex-cardiovascular pharmaceutical company rep, I always choose the research & developer branded product rather than a generic. Should I maintain these same principals with furniture and home decor? The financial investment with furniture of course makes a strong economic argument, and the quality of replicas can now make them almost indistinguishable from the original. What are your thoughts????
Louis Kartell ghost chair in clear crystal from Top 3 By Design


I'm not a costume jewelery wearing kinda girl. I like my 'bling' to be real, and I think maybe therein lies the answer. For me anyway. I've bought a limited edition Walnut Eames Hang-it-all and I like knowing  that it is a real designer collectable. Like my blog title it's an eternal icon! And those more expensive items will have to remain on the wish-list awhile longer!!!

Herman Miller - Eames 'Hand-It-All'

x KL

4 comments:

  1. Hmmm. I've never purchases fake nor real designer furniture ... but all my designer clothes/handbags etc are real.

    However, all my designer handbags and clothes are ONLY for me to touch and enjoy. I am very paranoid and precious about them.

    I don't know how I would feel about guests/children dropping glasses on my Noguchi coffee table and kids climbing on my Eames leather recliner with their shoes on :S

    Sorry, that wasn't very helpful I know *shy*

    B

    ReplyDelete
  2. definitely real! you will always know its a fake and if you're anything like me you'll never be truly satisfied with it...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for your comments again girls! With adult daughters and a young son I've learnt to enjoy 'my' stuff in their presence. It's either that or put it away till God knows when! They learn to respect special things and the occasional accident is just that - an accident. (Mmm, EXCEPT for my new silk shirt I found screwed up on the floor of my daughter's bedroom after a big night out!)I think you're on the money, Claudia, Sometimes quality will only ever work!
    x KL

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm not against the replicas - it's more affordable and has the right look. I do however think furniture should be considered an investment and be well-crafted.

    There is a lot of good furniture out there that is made locally too. I'd probably choose that option over buying an imported replica if I had to make a decision. xx

    ReplyDelete

I've recently had some problems with not receiving comments. I have removed word verification to try to rectify this issue. If your much appreciated comment doesn't appear please let me know via email so I can try something else! All comments and feedback are warmly welcomed! x KL