10.7.11

Black or White? Dark & dramatic or Light & bright?

I have loved white, minimalistic and streamlined kitchens for ... eons! I have more 'saved' pictures of this than any other yet, when it comes to my main kitchen in this house I'm yearning BLACK! (O.K - not really black but charcoal; dark dramatic and matte). Go figure! I need to be so very sure though as hubby needs some convincing! Luckily, I can have the white version in the kitchenette / laundry! Something like this with washer & dryer behind lower doors.

 My idea is that the downstairs area will function as a daytime / summer / outdoor living / teenage area around the pool and main T.V / Plasma room. The upstairs area will be our night / winter / fireplace / more formal adult area. (Hence the darker palette!)





I'd like the island to be Carrara or Calcutta Marble (I'm damned if I can decipher between the two) with stools only practical on the farthest end, leaving the front higher to screen mess from more formal dinner events! What do you think? Dark & dramatic or light and bright? We are on the coast and our views are beautiful!
KL

4 comments:

  1. Hello:
    We have black granite as the work surfaces in both our Budapest and Brighton kitchens but in each it is contrasted with off white, rather than pure, base units. Friends in London have a black lacquer kitchen which looks wonderful but impossible, we think, not to show every mark.

    Your situation on the coast, with all that clear natural light, might make us opt for the white as extending the outside in.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's going to look stunning! And your kitchenette/laundry is going to look just as stunning. Can't wait to see it all finished :)

    Is that a pop up splashback in your first pic? That is one ultra hot kitchen by the way!

    Are you going with a mirror splashback in the laundry/kitchenette?

    B

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for your comments. Yes, the splashback will be mirror in the kitchenette / laundry. It should reflect the view! I have no clear idea on benchtop materials. I love stainless steel, have had it before, and will incorporate it somewhere!
    KL

    ReplyDelete
  4. To answer you question I prefer white and bright kitchens but either way you decide to go with I'm sure it will look amazing :)

    B

    ReplyDelete

I've recently had some problems with not receiving comments. I have removed word verification to try to rectify this issue. If your much appreciated comment doesn't appear please let me know via email so I can try something else! All comments and feedback are warmly welcomed! x KL