17.7.11

My Mood-board book!

I often see on some of the blogs I read, interior designer's 'mood boards'. They tell a visual story of the potential design for the space, from colours to furniture and fixtures. I've never done one before and given my trend to change direction mid makeover, I wondered if it might help.

Photo courtesy of Amber Interior Design. Impressive!

It then dawned on me that I do create something similar for each new house. I call it 'My Yellow Book' (after the colour of the first ever version! Duh!)
Rather than a room by room pictorial scheme, my books, although sectioned into rooms and areas, are a record of my evolving ideas, details, plans, purchases, prices, wish-lists, sketches and of course magazine cut-outs! I constantly remove and add to their pages!




Not quite as professional as Amber's beauties, but sufficiently practical for me! It becomes my build 'bible' and helps me keep track of where I'm at and usually keeps me going in the correct direction!
How do you file all your house planning information? I'd love to hear of your methods!
KL

4 comments:

  1. I really like your method. Seems to work really well from seeing your previous house :)

    I've never decorated a home before so really not sure as how I am going to do it... Buy when it comes to tapware, basins etc I just save images in the appropriate folders and go from there.

    When it comes to the kitchen, laundry and vanities I like to draw up the designs in google sketchup...

    B

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi B, I always start my 'Yellow Book" before the first sod is turned! I have the next house already forming in my head!
    I haven't heard of Google Sketchup but I'll have a look at it. I've been very impressed with your room plans. I suspect you are far more technically advanced than I am but I'll have to start somewhere?
    KL

    ReplyDelete
  3. These days I do it on the computer. But I used to do it this way too. I still have the bible for this house. It is great to go back to when someone asks when and where did I get some item for the house.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mmmm... I just can't get into the computer thing....Still have (I LOVE your term) the 'Bible' for all our projects. Refer to them often too!
      x KL

      Delete

I've recently had some problems with not receiving comments. I have removed word verification to try to rectify this issue. If your much appreciated comment doesn't appear please let me know via email so I can try something else! All comments and feedback are warmly welcomed! x KL