10.9.12

A question regarding Stairs & Location.

We have built from scratch and fully renovated quite a few homes and through his building company,  David and I have done the same many times over for clients.

My question is this...
WHY, in two storey homes, is the stairwell most usually located in the entry?

The staircase from a scene in "Gone With the Wind"
  I suspect tradition plays a powerful part? In new builds; project home or architect designed - it is expected to be in this location and so it is.
In a renovation the pre-existing location or, if a new one is to be added, the spatial layout combined with budget moreover decide it's placement. 

But what if you have A CHOICE? 

In our last home (a renovation previously posted HERE)  the newly created stairwell was located away from the entry and in the 'core' of the house. This wasn't a design consideration but a response to a 'where can we fit it?' quandary when brainstorming the existing home's potential for transformation. It's final location was practical and accidentially functional!


When I designed our current home (the ongoing project) I placed the main stairwell off the entry. Why? 
Because it lead to the main, public areas of this home - which will be upstairs. With the view.
From the entry the eye and guest is drawn to the stairs and in turn to the upper level.

In most two storey homes however the private areas, such as bedrooms are upstairs....the entering guest is lead sideways to the public zones. Am I making any sense?

Now clearly the importance of making a Grand Entrance down a magnificent staircase was of utmost social necessity in the 'Gone with The Wind' era. They had 'help' to assist in dressing, obtaining midnight snacks and so forth! But speaking from experience and our century's way of living, I'd prefer to dash to the laundry in my undies without passing through this very public area.
I'm positive there's a gazillion hilarious anecdotes that can be told ? !

So, I'd love to hear your thoughts, experiences and preferance in the location of stairwells.
Within a Public or Private zone?


x KL

Thank you for stopping by my blog. You are very welcome and encouraged to comment. I love receiving feedback! I also love watching a new pretty picture box added to my followers - would love you to join me so I can get to know you too!

5 comments:

  1. I agree wholeheartedly. I never feel comfortable in homes where you have to sneak around the stairs. I think it's just a "look, we've got a two-storey home". Much prefer a staircase centrally located or at the back. I wonder if it's annoying to go to the front if your house then go up? I hate wasting time for any reason!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Ruthie. Thank you for your comment! I'm really starting to question the why behind many house building decisions and it's interesting to get others oppinions on this issue. x KL

      Delete
  2. Mel@Georgica PondSeptember 11, 2012

    Never given this much thought because all the staircases I have known in all the houses I've live in throughout my life and visited in fact, have all had staircases at the front door. We put ours leading out of the entry foyer in our newly renovated house, but there wasn't another choice. I guess if you want it to be strictly functional and have the freedom to choose where to put it, then out of the way is the go, but I think they are a wonderful design and decorative asset, so they should be in the middle of the house, on show for all to see as they create such a fabulous focal point and opportunity for decorating.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Mel for your considered reply. I totally get the decorating oportunity that stairs present...but I'm really stopping and thinking about where you'd see them most as well as practicalities. Renovations do usually dictate the position rather than free choice. All good food for thought! x KL

      Delete
  3. I think there are pros and cons about both, and I think I would have been equally as happy with a "hidden" staircase as well.

    B

    ReplyDelete

I've recently had some problems with not receiving comments. I have removed word verification to try to rectify this issue. If your much appreciated comment doesn't appear please let me know via email so I can try something else! All comments and feedback are warmly welcomed! x KL