14.10.12

Detailing the Main Bedroom En suite


 Today, I am beyond excited!

After such a   l o n g   hiatus, the wee bit of recent progress has meant that David can order the sheeting materials for the remaining, unfinished rooms upstairs!
The final delivery of Gyprock and Villaboard is on it's way!!!! Yay!!!!!

 Finalising the finish of those rooms has consequently become a high priority.
Luckily it's a process I really enjoy. I'm the 'ideas' person on this build (although David is quite visionary) and detailing means lots of discussion, illustration finding and usually compromise because of budget constraint. 
Architects can provide this additional service and volume builders have pre-prepared finish options that are usually part of their construction contract. In this project - our own home, we are the designers, builder and owner and are therefor fortunate to be able to modify as we go and as rooms take shape.
If I had the budget though I would always engage an architect for this; their skill and creativity add that elusive WOW factor every time!

I thought I'd post our detailing process, starting with the Main Bedroom En suite.


The basic plan for this room was established at the drafting stage and submitted to council. The generous 4200 x 2500 mm space allowed multiple layout configurations but the floor to ceiling windows on the left and top left of the room limited this area's use to a freestanding tub.  I like walking into a bathroom and facing the vanity hence it's location, which left the right wall free for the shower and W.C. The plumbing was installed with the initial frame build and is no longer negotiable. So now for the detailing! This is where those ideas files become gold!



We have magnificent ocean views and the large windows were chosen to balance an identical pair in the Guest bedroom underneath. Just outside the en suite will be a small lounge area within the main bedroom (position photo taken from) and to maximise those views the doorway was enlarged and two cavity sliding door units installed. During the day, for privacy reasons, (duh!) we decided to pop the loo and shower into frosted glass door cubicles. This means still utilising natural light and keeps the room feeling expansive. I first spotted the idea after staying at The Westin Hotel in Sydney.

The Westin Hotel, Sydney Bathroom detail
The windows will need to be well covered at night though, so block out blinds will be installed. I really wanted sheers in front but haven't got enough room between the window and bath. My absolute dream was Plantation Shutters but we can't do this due to the louvre windows already installed.
 *sob*.
 I've asked David to 'box-out' the top of the windows and build a small bulkhead over the vanity so the blinds can hide in their own little slot when up. It protects them from dust too.


A blind 'slot' in J's semi finished bathroom
We lowered the ceilings in the cubicles so that we can have a 'cove' light on the back wall and so that the water from the ceiling integrated rain shower (posted about HERE) isn't cold before it hits you! LOL!

We have this type of indirect lighting in the main bathroom downstairs too.
A wall between the shower and toilet will incorporate a wide shampoo shelf and there will be heated towel rails on the nib wall between the shower and toilet doors.


I wanted to make this space feel really indulgent so display space was important. I was horrified at the cost of freestanding bath outlets too so solved both these issues with a deep alcove at the foot of the bath which will also accommodate a standard bath spout. We spent ages working out how to incorporate low voltage lighting to each shelf for mood but gave that idea the flick in the end. I don't want the room to be O.T.T, just elegant and serene. (And isn't that what fragrant candles are for?)
Less is more. Less is more. Less is more.

The image on the right was my inspiration for a display alcove.
 The vanity will be wall hung as planned elsewhere, with mirrored shaving cabinetry above.
We're adding lighting under these cabinets and providing power inside to hide all the ugly but necessary bathroom stuff like electric toothbrushes, shavers and hairdryers. The picture below looks pretty much like my mental image though we will have budget conscious semi-recessed basins.


The finishes will match those in the downstairs bathrooms; swishy marble floors and cost effective 600 x 300 white vitrified tiles. I loved the shell mosaics I chose for the Terrigal project and featured in the en suite above and am debating whether to use them as a splash back detail too. Then again, using the same marble that's on the floor would look good too. I have a bit more time to ponder that decision. If there's flooring left over it will seal the deal. The Mother of Pearl mosaics are very expensive even if used for a tiny area.

These are the fixtures which I have chosen so far:

Gerberit In-wall cistern
Caroma Cube Wall hung Toilet
Sussex Scala Basin Mixers
Parisi Box Semi recessed basins
Kado Lure freestanding bath
Kado Quad heated towel rails
Rogerseller Cloud Cover shower


This was a mammoth post....hope it wasn't boring as bat sh*t for you!
Would love to hear your much appreciated feedback on my plans!

UPDATE EDIT: 3.01.13
http://eternalicons.blogspot.com.au/2013/01/new-yearnew-progress.html 

x KL

Thank you for stopping by my blog. You are very welcome and encouraged to comment. I love receiving feedback! I also love watching a new pretty picture box added to my followers - would love you to join me so I can get to know you too!

12 comments:

  1. Hi KL, your bathroom looks as though it's going to be amazing. How exciting. I always want to reply to your lovely comments but you are set up as a "no reply" blogger so people can't reply to you.
    Thank you for all the lovely comments you have left over time on my furniture.
    Fiona xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Fiona! Thank you for your comment and the heads-up with the 'comment' problem. I didn't know there was such a thing so will have to investigate! x KL

      Delete
  2. So, so, so bizarre, we just returned from staying at the Westin for two days. Freaking freaky. Loved the bath looking out onto Sydney's skyline and the privacy of the shower and the loo. Your bathroom is going to be amazing. I'm going to do a post on the Westin this week (and the Ivy, did you go there, incredible), oh and Fort Denison? K x (The Blog a House Built)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes K....very freaky! Maybe we are bloggy cosmic long-lost twins! Ha ha! Will look forward to your Westin post! In more calming news, no I haven't been to The Ivy, nor Fort Denison...
      x KL

      Delete
  3. I just want to say Hi, and that I've been following for a while and haven't checked on your progress for ages. Looking good, the outside is amazing.
    I think you're achieving wow factor even without an Architect.

    Sarah

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Sarah! If you haven't checked my progress for awhile then you haven't missed much! LOL! It is sooo good to be moving forward again now! Thanks for leaving me a comment and the lovely compliment, both are much appreciated!
      x KL

      Delete
  4. What an amazing space, you can't go wrong with that view. I also love the last bathroom photo. Good luck. xT

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is beautiful isn't it, T?....been my 'inspirational' piccie for years!!!! I feel very lucky to have the ocean outlook we do, not having had one before. I've found it really challenging to balance maximising the view whist being concious of privacy, window covering costs and providing wall space for art. x KL

      Delete
  5. Your ensuite is going to look magnificent. Those floor to ceiling windows are amazing. And the view... Agggghhh!!!!! Beautiful!

    B

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you B for your constant support and comments! I hope that it turns out like the image in my head!!!! David has been very accomodating with all my requests....sometimes he pooh-hoo's my dreams but not in this room. Am starting the search for the marble floor tiles....I'm thinking Cararra for this bathroom. ?
      x KL

      Delete
    2. Marble floor tiles - Love
      Cararra floor tiles - Love to the power of 1000!!!

      Delete
  6. i love your house though its not yet finished but i know when its already done, it would really look good..i love your bathroom and the accessories that you used..

    ReplyDelete

I've recently had some problems with not receiving comments. I have removed word verification to try to rectify this issue. If your much appreciated comment doesn't appear please let me know via email so I can try something else! All comments and feedback are warmly welcomed! x KL